Kurtis and Lorna Hewson are award-winning educators with experience in the classroom, school and district leadership, and beyond.
They are co-founders of Jigsaw Learning and co-authors of Collaborative Response: Three Foundational Components That Transform How We Respond to the Needs of Learners (Corwin).
In this episode, Ross, Kurtis, and Lorna discuss:
- The origin story of Collaborative Response
- How a Collaborative Response approach compares to Response to Intervention (RTI) and Multi-Tiered Systems of Support (MTSS)
- Why the book presents a schoolwide approach to addressing individual student needs
- What makes a good meeting?
- How Collaborative Response supports teacher collective efficacy
- Every child deserves a team — driving message of the book
Find Collaborative Response at https://bit.ly/45AWGA2
Subscribe to The Authority to get more deep-dive interviews with education authors. It’s available wherever you get your podcasts.
Visit https://bepodcast.network to learn more about the Be Podcast Network for educators.
About today’s guests
Kurtis Hewson has been an award-winning teacher, vice-principal, and principal, as well as taught at the post-secondary level.
Lorna Hewson is also an award-winning educator with leadership experience at the classroom, school, district and provincial levels.
Kurtis and Lorna are the co-founders of Jigsaw Learning, co-authors of the text Collaborative Response: Three Foundational Components That Transform How We Respond to the Needs of Learners (Corwin, 2022), and currently work with districts and schools nationally and internationally establishing Collaborative Response frameworks and interacting with thousands of educators annually.
Connect with them on social media:
- @hewsonk27 and https://www.linkedin.com/in/kurtishewson/
- @Lornahewson and https://www.linkedin.com/in/lorna-hewson-713a59104/
About the host
Ross Romano is a co-founder of the Be Podcast Network and CEO of September Strategies LLC. He is a leadership development and performance coach for professionals in a range of industries and consults with organizations and high-performing leaders in the K-12 education industry to help communicate their vision and make strategic decisions that lead to long-term success. Connect on Twitter @RossBRomano and LinkedIn
Creators and Guests
Co-founder of Be Podcast Network and CEO of September Strategies. Strategist, consultant, and performance coach.
Author/presenter with @jigsaw_learning, learner, teacher, father, husband, son, friend. He/him. Honoured to reside on Treaty 6 territory